Cutting off the Queue
Pak Tsz Lane Park
Sculpture revealing the revolution
Prelude of the 1911 Chinese Revolution (Xinhai Revolution). In commemoration of the revolution of 1911 (the Chinese bourgeois democratic revolution led by Dr. Sun Yat-sen which overthrew the Qing Dynasty), the Urban Renewal Authority has commenced the Pak Tsz Lane project to celebrate Hong Kong’s link to the Revolution. Located among the neighborhood of Central and Western district on Hong Kong Island, Pak Tsz Lane was a blind alley surrounded by old tenement building. As one of the nodes on the Dr Sun Yat-sen Historical Trail mapped to introduce his activities in the territory and hence highlight his close tie with Hong Kong, Pak Tsz Lane was home to Furen Liberary Society, which its founder had also joined Dr Sun’s Revive China Society (XinZhongHui). Its strategic position had made Pak Tsz Lane a post where frequent revolution meetings took place, and hence known as a cradle of the Revolution.
Pak Tsz Lane Park (百子里公園) is a park in Central, Hong Kong, featuring a monument celebrating the late 19th century revolutionary anti-Qing Dynasty activity of the members of the Furen Literary Society and the Hong Kong chapter of the Revive China Society. Leading members of these societies were Yeung Kui-wan (President), Sun Yat-sen and Tse Tsan-tai. The park is located in central Hong Kong, in a quiet square behind Aberdeen Street, Hollywood Road, Gage Street and Peel Street. It is close to the rear of 52 Gage Street where the revolutionists met and where Yeung Ku-wan taught and was eventually assassinated by Qing Dynasty agents. The Park can be approached by a number of narrow lanes, such as Sam Ka Lane (三家里), and Pak Tsz Lane (百子里), all of which afforded a number of possibilities for a quick get-away by the revolutionists, in case of action against them by either Qing agents or the Hong Kong police. The park was refurbished by the architecture firm Ronald Lu & Partners, who were also responsible for the design. The work was directed and financed ($HK 40 million) by the Hong Kong Urban Renewal Authority. It was opened in May 2012, in time for the Xinhai Revolution Centenary anniversary in October 2011.